JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Why didnt you drill the tank? Why didnt you glue the plumbing before you started to run water? Why didnt you place the rocks first then the sand?

Why didnt you listen to us? :sigh: :lol:

A check valve might calcify and get stuck = no bueno

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Why didnt you drill the tank? Why didnt you glue the plumbing before you started to run water? Why didnt you place the rocks first then the sand?

Why didnt you listen to us? :sigh: :lol:

A check valve might calcify and get stuck = no bueno

Damn Jada, why why why!!

well i didn't glue b4 i ran water because i have a one year old daughter , and that glue smells like it can drop a lung.

and the rock was placed on the sand in the first pic because i needed to have all the rock covered in the water , and since i only had about 30 gallons for the 75g i had to just lay them.. In the last pic the base rocks are all the way planted.:duh:

I did listen to you all!!

as far as the checkvalve goes, i was told that if the pump ever fails it will shut and keep the line from getting air.

I didn't drill the tank because i didn't have time . (i work M-F 7am to whenever the business needs me to work till. I am in the middle of my race season and have to make it to events to keep my sponsors happy, and i have a 1 year old daughter thats a hand full. I had no time or a window to have jim come drill the tank, you should have offered :smile:)

next weekend my mom will have my daughter and i'll glue the plumbing and check for leaks . ( by the way how is your leak comming along? lol)
right now the system is only on the powerheads and the wet-dry.

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well after a lot of thinking of gettin out of the hobbie!

I took another shot at it, since it was actually going to be a lottt more of a hassel to break down the tank than i thought . And i'd be wasting a lot more $$ in doing so.

So here it is 3 months later after upgrading from my 55g to my 75g at my new appartment.

few pix, and everything is doing well, had a very light algea bloom, but thats all gone for the most part.

Spot ( Yellow Coris Wrasse)
DSC_1564.jpg

Spot messign with Henry (Hermit Crab)
DSC_1646.jpg

Sandstorm, for obvious reasons ( Gold Stripe Maroon Clownfish). Sadly he is now in another home, he was making too much of a mess here. :-(
DSC_1561.jpg

Henry
DSC_1565.jpg

Flash and Dancer ( Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse and Dispar Anthias)
DSC_1573.jpg

Cocktail ( coz he's a shrimp) get it? lol ( Peppermint Shrimp)
DSC_1635.jpg

The Crips ( just too many to name, and they blue ). And Sandstorm in the background. ( Green/Blue Reef Cromis)
DSC_1636.jpg

Wally , kinda shy ( Yellow Watchman Goby)
DSC_1641.jpg

Victor , named after ma wife's father , coz he never smiles. lol ( inside joke) ( Pajama Cardinal)
DSC_1651.jpg

Myrtle ( Margarita Snail)
DSC_1654.jpg

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you'll need more than one Myrtle and one Henry for the clean up crew ;)

lol, i have about 8-9 hermits (Henry is the only one that seems to be in plain view to get a good pic)

and same with Myrtle, lol ( i have about 5-6 adult snails, and about 20 baby pea sized snails)

PS: the whole system is on a 20g sump, and a Ehime 2028 Pro 2 wet/dry!..

Last edited:

2slo4me

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
lol, i have about 8-9 hermits (Henry is the only one that seems to be in plain view to get a good pic)

and same with Myrtle, lol ( i have about 5-6 adult snails, and about 20 baby pea sized snails)

PS: the whole system is on a 20g sump, and a Ehime 2028 Pro 2 wet/dry!..

someone correct me if im wrong but i think its suppose to be something like 1-2 snails / hermits per gallon....

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
quick b4 and after!

before (75g at the new place)
fillclear.jpg

after (75g at the new place as of last weekend)
fulltankshot.jpg

Thanks to Eric (redrumm) By far the most help i have gotten with my tank.
Kris (nanoreefer) for the LR and all the hitch hikers!
and everyone else that helped me along the way!
Also thanks to myself, because i have since stopped listening to the million different opinions, and i am strictly dealing with a search, trial and error basis! ( been working like a charm).

next is a lighting uopgrade to T5s. and some SPS and zoos

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
someone correct me if im wrong but i think its suppose to be something like 1-2 snails / hermits per gallon....

:eek: 150 snails/hermits?

nah , the crew i have now have been doing a greattt job. I will get a few more hermits tho (i like the scarlet hermits).

As far as snails , i have about 20+ baby snails that have lots of growing up to do, lol

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i was in bed sick all day. so i was reading all you posts....the whole 10 or so pages. looks like you come along quite nicely...even with the trial and tribulations along the way.
just a suggestion on the hermits. i found them to be a pain crawling around the corals causing them to close up and even damage some delicate tissue.
i have no more hermits in my display. they all got evicted to the fuge.
from the look of the last picture, you have some hair algae. need to get rid of those before adding coral. test phos. and run a phosban reactor. it really helps.
and if you are going to keep sps, you'll have to be up on all the water parameters. they require excellent water quality(to thrive). you may need to add alk and cal.( for a small tank manually adding 2 parts should be suffice) and you'll need more flow than the two maxijets.
hope some of the suggestions help. don't want to see others make the same mistakes i made.
have fun

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
find a better store than petco to get your livestock.
what? there's nothing wrong with petco livestock. i bought a few and after i acclimated to my tank water, flushed it right down the toilet. that way saves me a lot of headache and aggravation.....lol....no i did not flush any down the toilet.
come to think of it when i first started many years back i did buy two fish from there. a yellow coris and a lunare wrasse. both have long and healthy lives. they were given away and to my knowledge still living. but they were an exception to the rule.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
find a better store than petco to get your livestock.

lol, why do i hear people say that. My Yellow Watchman Goby is going to be 2 years with me and he came from PetCo! ( But quite a few have passed away, but part of that was my fault). The only thing i don't like about PetCo is teh copper water. None of which goes into my tank by the way.

So i don't get it. But i have to say the past year i have been dealing with my LPS and Bluezooaquatics.com and have not lost ANY livestock.

Livestock list:

Yellow Watchman Goby x1 (PetCo)
Yellow Coris Wrasse x1 (lps-MA)
Hermits x6 (lps-MA)
Peppermint Shrimp x3 (lsp-MA)
Margarita Snails x8 adults and x20 baby snails (lps-MA)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x1 (lsp-MA)
Blue/Green reef cromis x1 large (lps-MA)
Blue/Green reef cromis x4 small (BlueZoo)
3 stripe Damselfish x1 (PetCo)
Pajama Cardinal x1 (BlueZoo)
Dispar Anthias x2 (BlueZoo)
Yellowfin Flasher wrasse x1 (BlueZoo)

All fish are under 3" and most likely won't get any bigger

about 70lbs of LR (Kris-Nanoreefer, 2slo and other members over the years)
40lbs of LS
Few Zoos and Shrooms
and a hitch hiker coral that i have not yet IDed! ( i will try to get a pic) kinda looks like a favia.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: