Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Copper is probably the problem if its the inverts going and not the fish. Get a test kit and run carbon.

Also take it easy with the additions, try to stabalize the tank first.

Man you guys really have to learn to look at the posting dates of the threads. I'm sure since OCTOBER 2008, the problem has been taken care of.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
*-including you, he joind MR in oct 08 and in late, Jan 09 his tank is not doing so good :splitspin

AHEM, again his January 09 post is about him adding a yashe haze goby. Not about tank problems, like having a 29 or 30 salinity. That post was again in October 2008.

lol@ more gooder.. Well i have been doing partial water changes with RO water for the past few months, and have since got a few hermet crabs and some peppermint shrimps, and they are all doing well.

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
your best bet would be to buy your self a ro/di. Try to put a post out on this site for any live rock that has come out of tanks that you can add to your tank. I would not put any inverts in the tank until you have the ro di and use that for about a month in. Also it is a good idea to buy the water from petco or any other store that offers you disteled water. The best bet for you now, you can mix the water in a bucket and add a power head to have the water move around, leave the water out for about a day and then add that into the tank. You should be fine.

Thanks , and thats actually exactly what i did. I use RO water from the store, It's $1.60 a gallon, and i do a 5 gallon partial change every 2 weeks or so when toppign off.

I have a 20 gallon drum that i let the water sit for a bit, then add a gallon a day for a 5 day spand.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Copper is probably the problem if its the inverts going and not the fish. Get a test kit and run carbon.

Also take it easy with the additions, try to stabalize the tank first.

all my tanks parameters are good to go.

I have never used any copper products in my tank, and all fish are added to the tank minus the LPS's water ( since some shops use copper water in thair display tanks).

I did however used to use tap water for waterchanges. I have since stopped and done about 4-5 partial water changes.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AHEM, again his January 09 post is about him adding a yashe haze goby. Not about tank problems, like having a 29 or 30 salinity. That post was again in October 2008.

lol, yea thanks for the posts and advice.

when i first joined my tank was a lil iffy. But i have all of my issues sorted out, for now. I would like to start keeping Corals but i think i'll hold off and keep it a FOWLR since i only have compacts on this tank.

I'll start a nano/pod in a few months with MH and keep a few SPFs, a Pistol Shrimp and Goby couple. lol

Thanks for all the help Reefers. You guys have been tons of help. .

Last edited:

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well thanks for the advice!!

My tank is doing well, and i have not had a livestock loss since i started this thread .

here are a few pix

This is my Yellow Watchman Goby ( she took over the shipwreck)
CopyofIMG_5374.jpg

CopyofIMG_5377.jpg

CopyofIMG_5378.jpg

My Maroon Clown , Skunk clown and damsel
CopyofIMG_5368.jpg

One of my Skunk cleaner shrimp, she has eggs (2nd clutch in as many weeks). If anyone has any advice on breeding them please stray me in the right direction. I'd like to give it a try . I'll try to set up a 10g to house the pair in for the next clutch. Because this clutch will most likely become fish food like the last.

Well this is her grooming my hand. lol
CopyofIMG_5379.jpg

CopyofIMG_5380.jpg

CopyofIMG_5381.jpg

you can see the eggs better in this pic
CopyofIMG_5382.jpg

Last edited:

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
You should not have gotten too much at once. In a new tank you want to start slowly. You did get the starter damsel, but you have to take it easy. In that small of a tank yuo can not shock the bio load. There is not really a need for a protein skimmer and a phosban reactor on 55 gallon. I would go with a red sea hang on, i have it on my 65 fish only and it is a beast. Or a Asm skimmer, the best, i have one on my 44 reef. For a bacteria bloom, it is because you used tap water and then yo added water conditioner. Mix the water in a bucket with the salt then the conditioner, to neutralize the chlorene in the salt(NaCl), let it sit for a minute then add it. Do a 50 percent water change, and invest in an uv sterilizer. It is worth it.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
if that is your tank as your avatar get some of that sand out. that is a lot of sand for a 55. There is probably a lot of sediment just trapped down there causing the hair algea. You do want a good sand bed but not that good. If you dont take it out lightly vacuum it with a python to get that debris out of there.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You should not have gotten too much at once. In a new tank you want to start slowly. You did get the starter damsel, but you have to take it easy. In that small of a tank yuo can not shock the bio load. There is not really a need for a protein skimmer and a phosban reactor on 55 gallon. I would go with a red sea hang on, i have it on my 65 fish only and it is a beast. Or a Asm skimmer, the best, i have one on my 44 reef. For a bacteria bloom, it is because you used tap water and then yo added water conditioner. Mix the water in a bucket with the salt then the conditioner, to neutralize the chlorene in the salt(NaCl), let it sit for a minute then add it. Do a 50 percent water change, and invest in an uv sterilizer. It is worth it.

As stated by Awibrandy you are speaking about my first set up. And i actually didn't have a problem with bio mass since the tank was up and running for about 6 months b4 i put anything at all in. Only problem i was having was keeping inverts. It was a pretty simple set up , just a 55g non RR with a Eheim 2227 wet/dry canaister filet.

The tank has since been running for about 2 and 1/2 years with not a problem aside from my Maroon clown digging up my sandbed (but i guess that helps with keeping the sand conditions cleaner).

I love deep sandbeds, mainly because i was going to house a pistol shrimp and wanted him/her to have free range. But thanks for the comments.

New set-up should be up n running by the weekend. Just don't want to loose any livestock in a hasty move.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok ok people!!

need a bit of advice!!

after a lottt of thinking , i might drill my tank to make it RR!!

Is there anyone that can come to me to drill my tank ( need maybe 2-3 holes drilled). Will pay, food and :beer:. I am located on 41st and 11th Ave in Manhattan

also i have to paint the back of my tank, But because i have a one year old daughter . I don't want her to have to deal with the smell of the paint . Can i just get Limo tint and tint the back glass?

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok so last week i was at Manhattan Auqurium and was looking into buying a return pump for my sump. Joe says that he also has used but still good pumps for sale ( being as how i just moved and spend a bunch of money in the process , i went with the cheaper option).

SO today i went in to see what he had, and scored this lil puppy and he even trew in some freebee fittings. Thanks Joe.
IMG00119-20090421-1754.jpg

IMG00120-20090421-1754.jpg

IMG00118-20090421-1754.jpg

and i already had a few pvc 3/4" pipes and mocked up the sump to see what was still needed. This way i only make one trip to the hardware store.
This is the drain side, pretty much there aside from a cut piece from the previous owner that i will use to put a ball valve.
IMG00110-20090421-1654.jpg

IMG00109-20090421-1653.jpg

This is the return side, I still have to figure out how and where i want the pump to sit, since the tank isn't drilled on that side and it seems like i'll have to run the plumbing up and over to get at the water. might be a lil tight in that area. But looks like it will work with a bit of cutting and a few 90* bends.
IMG00108-20090421-1653.jpg

IMG00111-20090421-1654.jpg

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If I knew how to I'd help you.:(

Isn't there anyone that can help this youngman out with drilling his tank? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You all know how much better it is with a drilled tank!!!!!!

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I knew how to I'd help you.:(

Isn't there anyone that can help this youngman out with drilling his tank? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You all know how much better it is with a drilled tank!!!!!!

lol, thanks for the SOS.

i'll try to do it myself this weekend, hope i don't crack the tank :frown:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: