44af3273-76b1-3858.jpg

Right side:
44af3273-76c2-016b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ah youngons. If it were not for undergravel filters there would be no salt water or fresh water hobby. It was the only thing available to purify the water. Our tanks were essentially sterile with no place for bacteria to grow. We had no live rock and we bleached the dead coral skeletons we used as decoration so we needed UG filters under the gravel to have a place to grow bacteria.
An UG filter allows water to percolate through the gravel supplying the bacteria a place to grow while bathed in oxygen.
In saltwater regular UG filters had problems as we found out in about a year. All of the detritus from those old tanks would clog the spaces in the gravel and eventually it would clog and be useless forcing us to remove everything from the tank and clean the gravel.
I found a way to make the thing run forever with almost no maintenannce.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I got my first salt water tank when i was around 12, circa 1992, and that had a UGF......obviously at 12 I was not ready to take care of the tank and it did not make it to long, luckily I never stocked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah youngons. If it were not for undergravel filters there would be no salt water or fresh water hobby. It was the only thing available to purify the water. Our tanks were essentially sterile with no place for bacteria to grow. We had no live rock and we bleached the dead coral skeletons we used as decoration so we needed UG filters under the gravel to have a place to grow bacteria.
An UG filter allows water to percolate through the gravel supplying the bacteria a place to grow while bathed in oxygen.
In saltwater regular UG filters had problems as we found out in about a year. All of the detritus from those old tanks would clog the spaces in the gravel and eventually it would clog and be useless forcing us to remove everything from the tank and clean the gravel.
I found a way to make the thing run forever with almost no maintenannce.

Paul, did Noah use UGF on the ark?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: