Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Reefer Ratings: (12 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
My New Tank is Finally Set up!

Eclipse System 12 Gallon with K2 Viper Metal Halide Light. Everything else is stock. Had this for about 8 months before upgrading.

This is about 4 months in.

This is about 9 months in. Notice the horrible placement of the clam. After this point I started asking a lot more questions and really took my tank to the next level.

Here are some photos of my 25 gallon upgrade.
I went from the hood light to a Viper K2 Metal Halide, to currently a 130 watt PC light with (2) 65 watt acitinic bulbs (1 blue, 1 white). I also now have a HOT Magnum hang on filter.

18" x 18" x 18" glass tank

water got a little cloudy.

Last edited by sillysidewinder; 02-04-2011 at 03:40 PM..
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Skimmer Freak
Reefer Ratings: (84 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
nice clean look but if u are switching stands that quick i would have waited to set up

marineland custom 45g all in one cube, nano-box custom led w\2 antic powerbrites. mp10w bm nac5 hob, ac jr controller, bm 3 way doser
Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (56 (100%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Looks good but like rick has said I would have also waited, no sense of setting it up twice. Good luck with the tank its a nice upgrade
Old 12-16-2010, 07:33 PM
RM Staff:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (36 (97%)
Friends: (41)
Send a Private Message
Nice Josh.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 PM
MR's Greatest Member
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
I would have waited as well, and that heater looks like it is to high out of the water.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (33)
Send a Private Message
makes me wanna try a nano tank...

lol the pettiness of people amuses me...my child you are just a pawn and you just dont know it....
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Skimmer Freak
Reefer Ratings: (84 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
if i might make one other suggestion, look into a hob fuge, this way you have a place to put heater skimmer ect, less clutter in tank

marineland custom 45g all in one cube, nano-box custom led w\2 antic powerbrites. mp10w bm nac5 hob, ac jr controller, bm 3 way doser
Old 12-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Reefer Ratings: (22 (100%)
Friends: (46)
Send a Private Message My Facebook View jdnumis's Twitter Profile
Great looking tank!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Send a Private Message
Yeah, well the stand was kind of a last minute change. I thought that the 1/2" MDF would be sufficient, but its too high a risk not to have it on something more stable than that. Thanks for the responses everyone. Would love to hear any other suggestions on things such as corals, fish, or equipment that might help with the upgrade.

What exactly does an HOB fuge do? I don't have room for a sump or anything that would occupy much more space such as that.

I also need to sand down the clamps holding the light. As they are right now, the one on the right needs to be moved in a bit and the left needs to be moved out in order to make it sit straight. However the legs of the light run into the buttons on the back of the light, so I need to sand it down slightly so it can slide past the buttons.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Send a Private Message
Another issue that I'm also having is that no matter how I position the outwards flow from the filter it is creating a bunch of small little splashes so I am losing some water to that. I was hoping to extend the post down a little bit so that the flow would go under the top level of the water. Hopefully this would also reduce the sound of the water.