BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
James, Thanks. That would be great if I don't see a cycle. I didn't think there would be much if any. I will still wait a while before adding anything to the tank.

Long Island Mike, Thanks for the help offer. Hows your eye for aquascaping? I just transfered the rock from the 90 and my less than creative eye fails to see how anything nice can come from that big pile.

Here a few pictures of the rock in the tank:

Attachments

• P1020801-1.JPG
    P1020801-1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 179
  • P1020802-1.JPG
    P1020802-1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 180
  • P1020803-1.JPG
    P1020803-1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 176
  • P1020795-1.JPG
    P1020795-1.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 178

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I played around a bit with rock and so far this is what I came up with.
I tried to stay away from the back glass, but there are some areas that will be tough to get with a scraper.

Attachments

• P1020805-1.JPG
    P1020805-1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 158
  • P1020806-1.JPG
    P1020806-1.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
  • P1020808-1.JPG
    P1020808-1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 160
  • P1020809-1.JPG
    P1020809-1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 161

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nice going on your rock work.
Hey Bob, I have some chaeto if you want to pick it up.

Thanks Paulie, and thanks for the Cheato offer. I will let you know. Hopefully I can get some closer to home. I would love to come and see your tank and hang out someday though.

36 hrs after adding rock, and no ammonia so far. We'll see what happens as the week goes on.

I still have to add the sand. I'm still not sure how I am going to rinse it with the weather being so cold. Maybe in a bin in the bathtub?

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
James, Thanks. That would be great if I don't see a cycle. I didn't think there would be much if any. I will still wait a while before adding anything to the tank.

Long Island Mike, Thanks for the help offer. Hows your eye for aquascaping? I just transfered the rock from the 90 and my less than creative eye fails to see how anything nice can come from that big pile.

Here a few pictures of the rock in the tank:

Hi Bob, your tank looks awesome! I would love to help you with the rock work, but to be honest it looks nice. Drop me a pm if you need me, I would be happy to help.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Tanks looks GREAT Bob. text me and I would love to stop by to see it in person. When I'm ready to do the plumbing on my 75 you will be one of the first I call. :) is that a 6 bulb T5? I am going back and forth as far as lighting goes. I have a 4X54 T5 or a 2X250 MH w 2x110 VHO setup. Can't decide.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hi Bob, your tank looks awesome! I would love to help you with the rock work, but to be honest it looks nice. Drop me a pm if you need me, I would be happy to help.

Thanks....After playing with the rock a bit I came up wih something I like. The rocks are pretty well locked together with just stacking, but I may throw a few rods in there kust to be on the safe side.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Tanks looks GREAT Bob. text me and I would love to stop by to see it in person. When I'm ready to do the plumbing on my 75 you will be one of the first I call. :) is that a 6 bulb T5? I am going back and forth as far as lighting goes. I have a 4X54 T5 or a 2X250 MH w 2x110 VHO setup. Can't decide.

Bobby!!! It's awesome to see you here. I'll definitely have you over sometime soon. As for your 75g, anytime you need help I'm there.
Yes, that is a ATI Sunpower 6x80w T5. I love the fixture. I though of doing MH, but the T5 had alot going for it. Cost's less to run, less heat and the choice of bulb color combo's.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I did some water testing this morning.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 YIKES! :shocked1:

The nitrate test I have on hand is a pretty cheap one (API). It's the only one the store had when I needed it to test MY QT tank. Also a little extra regent 2 got into the tube as well. I will test again tonight to confirm. I really didn't expect such a high reading.

I tried to shake any water out of the rock before I added it to the tank, but I guess not. This must have come from the 90 gallon.

Looks like I'm gonna need some Cheato ASAP.
I didn't plan on needing a water change so soon, so I dont have any made. I'll get that going right away.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm suprised by that high Nitrate number. Even though the API kit is cheap the Nitrate kit is usually pretty accurate. I assume that you shook all debris off LR before putting it in new system. Is there anything else that you brought over from your old setup which may be the source?

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm suprised by that high Nitrate number. Even though the API kit is cheap the Nitrate kit is usually pretty accurate. I assume that you shook all debris off LR before putting it in new system. Is there anything else that you brought over from your old setup which may be the source?

I was surprised as well.
I did shake the rock to get off as much as I could. The rock is the only thing transfered from the old tank.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm not surprised at all, lol...
This is why I told you to get the fuge going. Your rock is going to be leaching it out for a bit, so get a handle on it before it becomes an issue.

Yes,, I almost started that post with "As Pauliwalnuts predicted" LOL

I'm going to put the sandbed in the fuge tomorrow morning. Fishman1069 was kind enough to offer me some cheato and other macro's. Sadly my schedule didnt allow me to pick it up today. Hopefully there is time and he will be around tomorrow.
I started making water for a water change today.
I did expect some nitrate, but not so much so soon.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Fishman sounds like a good guy, ;-)
20ppm is not bad at all (only sps don't like that high of a #) and water changes are not going to bring it down significantly.
The macro algea is your best bet. It will remove it from the water column as it leaches out from the rock.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: