James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
That sucks Bob. Like I said I have upgraded before without even a blip. Hopefully when you get your fuge up the trates come down for you.

The build is coming along nicely though. Good Luck!

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was passing Tropical Island Aquarium today, so I stopped in and got some cheato.
Hopefully that will get to work on eating my nitrates. How long do you think before I see any effect?

Paulie, Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear 20ppm isn't horrible. I do want eventually to be mostly SPS, so no doubt I have to get this under control.

James, My 90g was very high on nitrates. I am sure if the 90 was in good shape this wouldnt be an issue.

I haven't done anything with my sand yet. I dont think it's a good idea to put it in without rinsing it, but with winter and all I cant really run the hose outside to rinse it.
I may try to do a little at a time in a 5 gallon pail in the bathtub.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey Bob, how about a few shots of the sump now that it's plumbed, filled and up and running? I need some ideas Lol.

I will take some pics and post them later.
I like the design of my sump, but I made a few mistakes building it that I will need to address.
My first mistake was building it using a method found in a Youtube video. The video had you use acrylic for the baffles on a glass tank. After I built it I found that they will most likely not hold. The second mistake was the space between my bubble trap is a bit too small. The good thing is it's a pretty easy fix. What I plan to do is wait for the next Petco Dollar sale and pick up another 40 breeder. Build a new sump, then switch them out and use the old one as a frag or QT tank.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
you should tear open the ati t-5 fixture and gut it out and make it into leds. it looks like a good casing for them to. and you can put heat sinks and stuff in there and have the fans blowing out of the top. it would also be a fun project to do over the weekend or something.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
you should tear open the ati t-5 fixture and gut it out and make it into leds. it looks like a good casing for them to. and you can put heat sinks and stuff in there and have the fans blowing out of the top. it would also be a fun project to do over the weekend or something.

I thought of building a LED fixture before I decided to get the ATI. After looking at both I decided I like the look of the T5's better. Plus there are far less expensive ways to get a casing to house LED's.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
oh lol i forgot this was a build... i just saw the last few pics not the first ones and i thought you had the tank set up for a couple of years or so and was suggesting you upgrade. i didn't know you just bought everything.
I thought of building a LED fixture before I decided to get the ATI. After looking at both I decided I like the look of the T5's better. Plus there are far less expensive ways to get a casing to house LED's.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I am leaning towards leaving the tank bare bottom. After looking at the tank like this for the past week I've decided I like the look. Plus the ease of cleaning is a added bonus.
I still plan to do a deep sandbed in my fuge.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I made some progress this past week. There is some good and some bad.
The Good: My Clownfish are now living in there permanent home and are doing great.
I bought a few frags and have some color in the tank. A couple of Zoanthids and a Favia frag. Also I am starting to get some coraline growth.
The bad: Along with nitrates I seem to have brough some phosphate along with my rock. After having the lights on for a few days I am starting to get some hair algea. I SO dont want that. Today I ordered a reactor and some high capacity GFO from BRS.
I am going to reduce the light cycle until the reactor gets here. I am hoping the hair algea will starve once the phosphate is all consumed. As long as I dont introduce more and run the GFO I am hoping it goes away. There is not much algea now, but I am guessing it's only the begining :(. Another problem this week is my APEX base unit is acting funky and has to go back to Neptune for repair.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Sorry to hearabout the hair algea issue Bob. That was what pushed me out of the hobby 16 years ago when I setup my very first reef. Have no fear, you'll get it under control. It seems it's a "Right of passage" with a reef tank Lol.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks. I'm not too worried about it. I have cheato in the fuge and GFO on the way. Hopefully they will do their job. Eventually the rock will run out of phosphate and things should get better.

on the brighter side I noticed a bunch of pods running around on the glass in my fuge tonight. One of my most wanted fish is a Mandarin. It's nice to know it's food source is already starting to populate. It will be a long while before I get one however.

Last edited:

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
As I expected the hair algea is growing. I noticed after I removed the algea from the glass it hasnt come back. I guess thats a good sign.
I received my GFO and reactor today, so that is now in there doing its job. Hopefully soon the hair algea will be behind me.

In my post the other day I forgot to mention that I put a few frags in the tank. They have been in for a little over a week and seem to be doing well. Here is some pictures. They were taken with my phone, so the quality is not so good..sorry,

Attachments

• IMG_0002-1.jpg
    IMG_0002-1.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0004-1.jpg
    IMG_0004-1.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0006-1.jpg
    IMG_0006-1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0008-1.jpg
    IMG_0008-1.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 155

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
what kind of coral is in the first pic. it looks really nice
As I expected the hair algea is growing. I noticed after I removed the algea from the glass it hasnt come back. I guess thats a good sign.
I received my GFO and reactor today, so that is now in there doing its job. Hopefully soon the hair algea will be behind me.

In my post the other day I forgot to mention that I put a few frags in the tank. They have been in for a little over a week and seem to be doing well. Here is some pictures. They were taken with my phone, so the quality is not so good..sorry,

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Nice job Bob! I had a slight algae outbreak, but between running gfo + my clean up crew you'd never know.

Naples is selling an ATI fixture think it'd be worth it over my TEK??

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: