jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update:
Everything is running smoothly. Levels are steady as can be. I sold my frogspawn a few weeks ago. the 2 heads that i kept are growing nicely. i also got rid of the cap i had. i think im going to stay away from sps. i like lps better. :). i only have left a nice colony of birds of paradise and i have a small ora hawkins. i dont mind these 2 sps. i ended up getting a mag rock and placed it where the cap was. i bought a golden torch which is opening up nicely. i cant wait till torch and frog grow out! my rbta is doing well. it found a good place and i hope it stays there. my clown has completely moved in. he sleeps and hangs around the bt all night n day. he even attacks me if i get near the nem! lol
here are a few pics: sorry again for bad iphone pics.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 264
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 264
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I am doing the same with my 28 no more sps, other than a piece of a green plate, but I am not going to let it get that big.

Looks very nice!

You have a new species in your tank??? Second Pic looks like a mini person sitting in your take with a MAC?? LOL!

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
update

tank has been running nicely-no issues. since last update-i have bought a sl1 for my rkl. i bought and hooked up my first ph probe. i have never checked my ph. Now that i do chek-it ranges from 8-8.3.
my green scoly is finaly starting to get its deep green/purple color back after turning completly white on me.
heres a few pics:

Attachments

• photo76.JPG
    photo76.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 217
  • photo77.JPG
    photo77.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 214
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 218

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Just read the whole thread. Nice Pics, your tank looks great. Hope mine looks as good.

Regarding the micro blend, how is that working out for you? I have the 4 oz. bottle which I am kind of hesitant to try. You wrote that you change your water every week but isn't this solution supposed to reduce the amount of times you change it?

I am also interested in getting JBJ ATO and was hoping you can post some pictures of your setup.

Oh and I forgot to ask, Why did you choose to have the wave maker on 4 min interval ? I have mine set for 10 sec.

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Hey Jack. As u seen in my thread- I run my tank skimmerless. So i do weekly water changes religiously. As for the special blend. I was using it weekly and i stopped for a few months. I noticed I started getting a lil algae so I started again. That stuff really works. Algae on glass is gone. I don't think the special blend will substitute water changes. All it does is build up the good bacteria in ur tank.
The jbj ato is great. It's a must. Gets to be a pain having to add water all the time. I will snap some pics for u when I get a chance. I have a 3 gallon water jug underneath the stand which fits perfect

As for the wave maker. I don't kno y I have it at 4 min. I mainly did it so the pumps don't shut on an off so much. Not sure if it makes a difference

Jus keep up wit ur water changes and special blend every week or two and ur phos and nitrates should be in check. My phos in my tank was .01 th last time I checked using hanna

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey Jack. As u seen in my thread- I run my tank skimmerless. So i do weekly water changes religiously. As for the special blend. I was using it weekly and i stopped for a few months. I noticed I started getting a lil algae so I started again. That stuff really works. Algae on glass is gone. I don't think the special blend will substitute water changes. All it does is build up the good bacteria in ur tank.
The jbj ato is great. It's a must. Gets to be a pain having to add water all the time. I will snap some pics for u when I get a chance. I have a 3 gallon water jug underneath the stand which fits perfect

As for the wave maker. I don't kno y I have it at 4 min. I mainly did it so the pumps don't shut on an off so much. Not sure if it makes a difference

Jus keep up wit ur water changes and special blend every week or two and ur phos and nitrates should be in check. My phos in my tank was .01 th last time I checked using hanna

Why do you choose not to have a skimmer ?

How much do you dose micro blend every time you do a water change ?

I was also wondering how do you know how much to set your automatic doser to dose cal and alk. I use instant ocean reef salt so basically doing water changes every week should keep all the levels where they need to be.

Thanks for the info

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I just never bought a skimmer. Had my first nano tank up for like 5 years without one a well. I feel like wit the weekly changes. It's enough.
As for the blend. I throw in a cup and a half day after water change
As for dosing. Not matter what salt u use eventually u will need to start dosing as your corals grow and the demand goes up. I use esv salt which all levels are high and I still dose. The levels slowly go down. U want u tank levels to be as steady as possible to get good growth.
I have used this site to kno what ur tank needs
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html
What I do is 3-4 hours after water change. Take ur levels. Alk mag cal. Then next week when u do water change/ check levels again. Then u will be able to see how much ur tank is using up weekly. Divide it by 7 and u will kno how ur levels are dropping daily. Hope this helps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: