JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Went and got my 2nd addition today. Some GSP's

DSC_0563-5.jpg

They haven't all opened up yet but am expecting them all open tomorrow or they're GROUNDED and will go to their rooms for a week!!

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thought I'd do a little update on my nems. Their color still isnt great but on a positive note- their tentacles are starting to grow back a bit. Looks like I may have hopefully pulled them from deaths door.(hopefully)

Just been doing a lot of water changes, bought all new bulbs--2 Pheonix 14K 250W halides and 2 39W 36" Geissman pure actinic T5's. Going to try to start doing 2-3 small feeding per week of fresh shrimp soaked in selcon and vita chem

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Also I got the chiller plumbed and operating. Sorry about the still messy wiring it's what's left of the old 65G I had. The board has the ballasts that will go with the Maristar I'm selling and the Vortech MP10 I'll be selling also. Anyway it's a JBJ Arctica and I plumbed it by taking out the stock pump in the right chamber and replacing it with an external Hydor Seltz L40 740GPH pump. I ran the return from the chiller directly to the return nozzle in the tank so it'll chill the whole tank and not just the one chamber because of the heat the pump would have generated so it won't keep cycling on and off to meet demands of what I ask temp wise. I'm going to be mounting the pump on the brick wall with mollies so there's no hum like I get now from it being mounted to the stand and then will secure all hoses on the chiller and pump with hose clamps:

DSC_0560-11.jpg

DSC_0561-11.jpg

Next is to get the NextReef reactor plumbed, I got two Maxi Jet 900's to run the reactor with. I like to have each thing have it's own pump so if one pump goes south it doesnt affect the function of multiple things. They will be mounted in line with the chillers pump on the bricks as well. This way everything will be easy to service and swap if the need be. Only thing I'm changing is I'm going to use 2 TLF 1/2" ball valves instead of the Fluval ones in the pics- I hate those valves, they're a bit sketchy feeling to me:

DSC_0560-12.jpg

DSC_0561-12.jpg

For the reactor I'm going to drill 2 holes for the 5/8" intakes of the MaxiJets and then 2 holes for the 1/2" return lines from the reactor. The 5/8" doles will be driled where the acessory plate spouts come down and the 1/2' return lines will be drilled at the top corners right under the rounded corners and all the lines will be ran down by using 90 degree elbows cut down on both sides of the hood to point the lines straight down in the chamber. I still have to shorten the return line from the chiller on the left there so that spout is straight down, tweaking it will be easy though.

DSC_0563-6.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Another update on the nems. Their bodies look more bleached, but have started to regenerate their tentacles at the same time the lightening of the bodies occured. I'm guessing they're putting everything they have into regenerating? Anyway starting tomorrow after picking up the selcon the regimented feeding of about 2-3 times a week of fresh shrimp soaked in selcon and vita chem begins.

Been doing 5 gallon a day water changes pretty much due to the fact that I have hair algae starting to grow everywhere and am now running GFO for the last 2 or 3 days. I hope everything will keep the water quality at it's best and these guys can find new homes-1 in my new tank, 1 with dubcity03, 1 with ryangrieder(thats been promised for a while now- I didn't forget Ryan) and 1 I'll be giving up to a new reefer that wants to try an anemone. Hopefully they'll see how you can keep these guys going and won't be afraid to give it a shot. Anyway here are what the 2 I can get shots of look like. Sorry about the crappy view of the bottom one, the algae wasn't scraped for a few days and it's tough to get it in focus- so here's the state of them when they first got transferred from my old 65 that crashed and tonight. They look like I said more bleached but the tentacles are definately regenerating:

When they first got transferred:

DSC_0564-1.jpg

Tonight:

DSC_0569-2.jpg

DSC_0571-1.jpg

So you can see the growth in the tentacles. I think they're definately going to recover and flourish again soon:)
On the one I posted first its really hard to see under actinics but they have just the slightest bit of pink on the tips of the new tentacles also. It's amazing watching these guys heal themselves and the differences that each thing you do make and help little by little.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: