Status
Not open for further replies.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just finished aquascaping but didnt bring the camera home so after the weekend you guys get your pics. It came out nice and neat looking.
the skimmer is off for the cycling period but it seems im going to get alot of micro bubbles from it. looks like it will take much time to adjust it just right.
so far im pleased with this tank. im glad i hit the salinity right. wasnt easy figuring out exactlyhow much to dump in. im at 1.025-1.026 which isnt bad for a first run. been a while since i started a new tank. always had one running for years.:banghead:

auto: it did come with a cover but I left it off for now. there actually 2 covers, 1 in front and 1 in back. the middle part has no cover which is weird. im going to ask finnex if thats the way it is or they just forgot to ship it.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
why would I want to run a skimmer during cycling?
I want to keep the bacteria, not skim it out at least for the time being.
probably in about 2 weeks ill start running the skimmer. let the bacteria build up.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
why would I want to run a skimmer during cycling?
I want to keep the bacteria, not skim it out at least for the time being.
probably in about 2 weeks ill start running the skimmer. let the bacteria build up.

Skimming primarily removes nutrients from the water column. Bacteria is growing mostly on the rocks, glass/acrylic and substrate. Skimming during the cycle will reduce its duration.

Fire that baby up!

Dean

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Tested my parameters yesterday and was surprised at the results. Not much spiking going on and its running clean. levels are all near the zero range. The evaporation rate is high considering I have no top on it cause the top it comes with just doesnt cover the whole tank, only the front and back so the middle is exposed anyway. so I just ditched the top. Ill have to make one of those screens covers that I saw on RC which you guys posted here as well.
Well, I have the aquascape pics like I promised. kind of boring without any life in there, mabe a couple of copapods in there.

Attachments

• HPIM0983.JPG
    HPIM0983.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 804
  • HPIM0981.jpg
    HPIM0981.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 799
  • HPIM0985.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 758
  • HPIM0986.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 750
  • HPIM0987.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 734
  • HPIM0988.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 731
  • HPIM0989.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 719

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Hope you don't mind, I've got a couple of observations. The base of your structure is very narrow. It also appears as if the LR is sitting on top of the sandbed, not on the glass below it. It looks unstable. The combination of narrow structure and sitting on top of the sand is a POTENTIAL recipe for disaster. If you stock the tank with any sand sifting critters, gobies, pistol shrimp, bristle stars, etc. the rock structure could be compromised and topple over. A rock falling into the glass can easily crack it. Consider ways to secure the rock from falling.

Second, I'm not sure if your heater is set at 83 degrees or it's just displaying the temperature. If it's set at 83, that's high. 78-79 is a good starting point.

swimmer

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
the live rock is set on the glass then the sand was added. the rock interconnected fairly easily and i put pressure to try to see if it moved if anything knocked it or moved it. the temp was on at 80 in the begining but it seems like the compartment where the heater and probe is reads higher than the temp probe on the other side which is in the tank. tanks usual temp is at 82 for cycling puposes and when things settle in I will lower it to around 79-80. my last tank sat at 78 but this one will be be a bit higher unless I see problems with the higher temp. this will be mostly a coral tank, i know they like it warm in there.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Heres an update on the tank. so far everything is going smoothly. added all the nessasary items and they are flourishing in there. the refuge is an amazing aspect of this tank which i must say was well thought out. the evaporation rate is high and the lighting i wish was lower to the tank but the stands they come on are not lowerable so unless I start modifying, this is it. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure, I know how you all have pic fetishes. On the last one I had to add my chameleon.

Attachments

• HPIM1093.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 692
  • HPIM1105.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 682
  • HPIM1114.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 672
  • HPIM1107.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 658
  • HPIM1104.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 654
  • scaled down2.bmp
    903.8 KB · Views: 646

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
C, everything looks great. I like the chameleon btw.

I know your brain coral looks nice where it is, but they do prefer being on the substrate. Being on rock like that can irritate the flesh. Here's a blurb from Anthony Calfo & Steven Pro.

swimmer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: