albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i hope everything is ok.

are you making a new stand or chopping off the height on the old one?
Everything should be fine, just have to take it easy...

in process of completely disassembling stand, and cutting 6" off bottom of legs...realized that I need more space between top of tank and ceiling, in order to be able to 'safely' place large rocks into tank!

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
Everything should be fine, just have to take it easy...

in process of completely disassembling stand, and cutting 6" off bottom of legs...realized that I need more space between top of tank and ceiling, in order to be able to 'safely' place large rocks into tank!

i had a few tonga shelf pieces that weights over 40 some odd pounds each that needed 3 people to put in. one to spot and two over the tank with diy hoist.... new nylon straps used for moving appliances. we could not have placed the rocks by hand.....restrictive dimensions...36 wide and 28 deep....arms were too short and not strong enough grip while balancing on ladders. didn't want to take a chance of destroying the whole project.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
do you have enough room between the wall and the back glass to maneuver around? depending on how heavy the rocks are or how strong the ones lifting them are, you may need one on each side of the tank to place the rocks safely. on person or even two cantilevered over one side of the tank won't be as efficient/strong enough....plus you got the "ledges/borders" on the acrylic topside.
i had the tank filled before placing the rocks and didn't feel like draining it so it was a struggle to aquascape. another way that i thought of was to place a 1-2" play mat (your grandson probably has those) in a dry tank and lower the rocks on them before dry aquascaping.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hopefully, no one else is having this problem...next, you'll be telling me that you don't see any pics of the tank with water in it! :rolleyes:

If I can't see the pics on my macs then I may need to take a road trip and see it in person:wink1:. I see all of the other pictures except those, did you do anything different with these?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
skimmer

here are the photo's

Attachments

• RBTA,skimmer.jpg
    RBTA,skimmer.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 924
  • RBTA,skimmer1.jpg
    RBTA,skimmer1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 921
  • RBTA,skimmer2.jpg
    RBTA,skimmer2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 916

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i had a few tonga shelf pieces that weights over 40 some odd pounds each that needed 3 people to put in. arms were too short and not strong enough grip while balancing on ladders. didn't want to take a chance of destroying the whole project.
BEEN THERE, done that...exactly why, I figured that it's better to correct, NOW! I have a few rocks in the 40-50 lb. range, and IT IS NOT EASY, to place them GENTLY, on the bottom!
do you have enough room between the wall and the back glass to maneuver around?
No, until I re-do the sump room, the tank will be against a 3' wide sump, so rear access is non-existent (till I move the sump).
If I can't see the pics on my macs then I may need to take a road trip and see it in person
When its up and running, you MUST take a road trip!
Your tank is awesome, I can't wait to see it done.
Thank you, I'm can't wait either!
nice skimmer.....looking good...can't wait to see more pics....
Hopefully more progress. this weekend...so more pics, then!

UnknownWaters

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So because of health issues you were told to take it easy? dude did you tell the doctor your in the middle of a 650 gallon build? If your gonna take it easy you should maybe only build a 649 gallon setup lol. go easy and good luck.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
So because of health issues you were told to take it easy? dude did you tell the doctor your in the middle of a 650 gallon build?
Believe me...I TOLD HIM!

anyway, thanks to NYreefNoob stopping by yesterday, we were able to remove the tank from the stand, so the carpenter can 'trim' down the stand this week...My new goal is to have it, circulating water by swap time!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Well, carpenter was over, cut 6" off bottom of stand (looks short, now, but its 32", about 5" taller than my present 170g DT)...I re-cut bottom shelf, last night, and should have stand together and re-skinned by weekend. If you look closely, you can see plumbing for present sump, behind plastic 'curtain'...until I have time to re-arrange the sump room, I'll just have to use the present set-up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: