ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how come you went with a bare bottom and also I rember when I was in orlando the rocks on the beach were all off the reef it was amazing. you can use cycle them out and use them

do you mean Tampa....? I didnt go to the beach. I went to busch gardens. I almost went to clearwater and st. Petersburg to go fish shopping, but I got the bubble coral & wanted to get home.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
they had huge sponged on the beach, I heard the keys have rocks washed up on shore that are parts of the reef. I am planing to go there one day. Tat was one of the best vacations I had, esp going to bermuda that was a blast as well. If you are more south then I know you can get amazing coral esp closer to the keys you do.

Baja170

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add the live sand, just do it a pint glass at a time and don't rinse it. You just scoop up a pint glass full, then dip the whole glass in salt water in a bucket. Then when you put it in your tank, hold your hand over the top of the glass, invert the glass and right at the bottom of the tank, slowly release the contents of the pint glass. Make sure all your flow is turned off when you do this. Yes it is time consuming, but it works. Alternately you can drain the tank with your animals in a bucket for safe keeping, transfer in all your sand, then very slowly refill with your water you drained from the tank. It will take 2 new trash cans to do it with your tank size.

Usually I put in the live sand first, pack it down slightly then lay the bags on top of it while I slowly fill the tank. Last week I changed out crushed coral with live sand in a well established tank with the drain down method I describe above and it was not that bad at all to do. If you don't want to drain, the pint glass trick is the next best option IMHO. Slow but it works.

ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I haven't updated this in a while. Nothing new. Here are some pictures

my newest zoas
zoas3.jpg

these things really took off
Zoas2.jpg

he is soo cute!
funny.jpg

cutr.jpg

ReeferGirl

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 50+ lbs of rock from a local reefer today. He has had it sitting in his dining room with a PH, I should be able to add it to my tank right away right?

Got a few emerald crabs, i have some bubble algae I am hoping they will take care of.
Emerald.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: