Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
CONGRATULATIONS on another successful reef! You never disappoint!!!!

I've always loved looking at your tanks. Love the videos with the music, very relaxing.:flower:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Awilida, thank you so much :). In this tank I emphasis the power of bacteria lol. I forced this tank into maturity extremely quick through the use of various bottled bacteria, and various established live rock, and live rock rubble. Randy's mature reef was the inspiration behind the idea and so far it is working very well.

Might as well post a new monthly FTS since the thread has been bumped up ;)
IMG_9031 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I added 2 Blue Reefbrites to the Sfiligoi hood. Nice added pop. Now I officially run halide, T5, and LED ;)
IMG_8833 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Blue LED (cheating)
<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/110930925@N05/13642787755/player/" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Looking great. What different kinds of the bacteria have you been using/like the best? I've been on a pretty steady regimen establishing my new setup also?

Using Microbe lift Special Blend, microbe lift nite out II, and prodibo biodigest. Most importantly I am pushing the bioload so the bacteria needs to exist.

ReefMonkey13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow . . that is a serious light fixture.

Great job!! a true inspiration.

Can you point me in the right direction for reading up on the bacteria and reefs.

tried googling but cant really find anything substantial to go with.

thanks as always for sharing

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
This tank is absolutely beautiful. The colors are rich, the fish are super healthy like...they've been pumping iron kind of healthy.

Great Job.

I think I'm going to try and get a MH onto my nano.
It's a 16g. I want the MH, T5, LED combo too :)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Inevo, thanks man :)

Reefmonkey, there isn't really isn't anything to read on what I am doing. My tank was full of SPS and fish on day 3. Now I'm @ 5 1/2 months with 21 fish and rapidly growing SPS. I haven't lost a single coral and most corals colors up quickly.

Everything that I've done is reef blasphemy. From reading many carbon dosing threads, and observing many successful tanks, experimenting with bacteria and carbon dosing, you can make your own decisions. I know what I am doing works, but without the right experienced eye, it maybe a little difficult for most to understand. I am constantly pushing the bio-load. When I get to the point where frequent water changes are needed to keep things clean, I back off a little. A week or 2 down the road I increase again to see if bacteria can handle it. Each successful increase brings me to a new level, increased growth color, and ironically the tank looks more clean. This happens naturally in our reefs as they mature and store organics but it takes a long long time.

The thing that I am not sure about is how various ocean live rock effect what i am doing. I have 6 different kinds of live rock in my display and rubble zone. I am curious if this different rock brings various bacterias into the system that otherwise wouldn't be there? Don't know the answer :)

Tusi, thanks. I look forward to seeing your beautiful reef one day.

William, thanks man. It's always great having you stop by.

Knutez, just make sure you actually need the prodibo. It will strip you to ULN levels without a large bioload.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Please keep posting pix! I can't get tired of looking at your masterPiecies! You, and your reef are trully an inspiration!
Thank you for sharing your methods as well.;) Love that light fixture! First time I saw one was at MShur's.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: